Thursday, January 14, 2010

My first owl sighting


Baby great horned owl peeking out from the nest.
Same baby owl about a month later sitting on a branch.
One of the parents of above baby owl.

Screech owl in Christina's backyard. (Picture taken by Christina Button).

I recently watched a great movie on the Disney channel called Hoot. It's about a boy who moves to south Florida and meets new friends and tries to save owls from losing their homes to development. It made me think of the first time I saw an owl out in the wild. It was this past spring at a small park not far from work. I was walking around taking pictures and someone stopped me and said "Have you seen the baby owl?". They showed me where it was and I was hooked. The parents were close by in another tree. I went back to that park every other week during the spring and got pictures of the baby growing up. My friend Christina was telling me she gets screech owls in her backyard. She sent me the above picture to show how cute they are. I'm going back to that park often this spring hoping to see a new baby.

1 comment:

  1. These are great. Baby looks like the creature from Where the Wild Things Are! You're going to really like the book, Wesley the Owl. I'll bring it in when I'm finished. You'll learn so much about not only owls, but all birds of prey.

    ReplyDelete