Thursday, March 18, 2010

Nesting season at Lake Morton


Black swan sitting on her nest, up against a fence.


Her egg. She was walking around the nest. She has a nice big nest.


Swan sitting on her nest.




Not sure if these are abandoned eggs. There were eggs everywhere.






Another black swan on a nest under a bush. Ibis were walking all around her.








This goose had just laid this egg. She stared at it and then plopped down and sat on it.


Nesting season is in full swing at Lake Morton in Lakeland. There were several swans and geese with nests. I noticed several eggs just laying on the ground out in the open without any swans or geese near them. I'm not sure if they sometimes lay eggs and then abandon them. I've read that the eggs take anywhere from 30-45 days before they hatch. That's a long time for a goose to guard an egg out in the open at the lake. A couple of the swan nests had 2 swans on it so both parents seemed to be pitching in. I'm going to try and go back in a couple of weeks to see if there are any chicks running around.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! I love seeing birds nesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your article seem to be running off the screen in Firefox.

    I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you
    know. The design look great though! Hope you get the issue fixed soon.
    Many thanks

    My web page; http://www.chitchat4you.com/blog/view/66614/dieting-for-dropping-excess-fat-fast-and-finding-a-balanced-physique

    ReplyDelete