Monday, May 24, 2010

Birds at Homosassa Springs


Male wood duck with reflection.

Great egret missing a foot. He must be a permanent resident.

Great blue heron looking for food.


Pileated woodpecker high up in the tree.
Last weekend I took a trip up north (north of Hillsborough county) to Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park. I had not been there in at least 25 years. When I was younger growing up in Birmingham, my family used to drive down to visit my grandparents and we always stopped here for a rest. The front entrance building looks exactly the same. I didn't remember much about the inside of the park. It's a small park but there's tons of wildlife. There's a river that runs through most of the park with birds everywhere. There's permanently injured residents as well as wild birds that stop by for food. It's also a great place to see manatees up close. I have pictures of those coming up later.

2 comments: