Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Little critters at Sawgrass Lake Park


Green heron. One of the few birds I saw there.


Looking down the river from the end of the boardwalk.


Dragonfly season is in full swing.

Butterfly. (or moth?)


Another butterfly.

I stopped by Sawgrass Lake Park after work a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty close to work. It's starting to get hot and muggy. There weren't a lot of birds there. This park is usually more of a miss than hit when it comes to birds. I almost always see green herons and anhingas but that's about all. Of course, I usually only go after work and there might be a different crowd there in the morning. I can usually find good critters there though.  I don't know my butterfly species at all. I barely know the bird ones so it will be a while before I start to learn them. They are pretty though, when they sit still. While I was there I got bitten several times by big brown flies. I had a good coat of Off on and still got bit. Those biting flies are worse than mosquitoes. The bites itched for days. No amount of hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion helped. If anyone has a great remedy, please let me know.



3 comments:

  1. oh, so jealous on the green heron shot. so close and in focus!!! whew!

    and that's a skipper butterfly. they're so hairy and soft-looking i always thought they were moths too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, fly bites hurt! They don't use stingers, they really bite!
    Beautiful photos, however, Dina.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your butterfly (or moth) looks like a skipper.
    Brian Ahern . . .
    http://www.pbase.com/brianahern
    should be able to confirm ID for you.

    ReplyDelete