Saturday, July 9, 2011

Baby skimmers


"Is this going to give me acid reflux?"


"Your beak smells like fish."


"Tell me about life, Mom."


"How am I going to feed all of these?"


"Don't step on us!"


"I love you both, as long as you bring me fish."


"No, you can't a kiss while I'm flying."


"Don't come back until you have a fish."

The skimmer babies were finally born. The roped off area on the beach is full of egg shells and little babies running around. I don't see how the parents keep them all straight. The babies were so cute. Most of them were just scurrying around trying to stand up and see what was going on. The parents stayed close to the babies and kept their eyes in the sky for flying prey. Danger lurks everywhere. If a parent is not looking, a laughing gull could steal a new baby and fly off with it. Some kid could run under the rope and step on them. If you get too close the roped area, the skimmers will fly towards you and dive bomb your head. That's why I bring my 500mm lens, so I can stay far away from the area and not disturb the group. Although, my 300mm will probably do the trick as well. I'm going back in the next week or two to get more pictures. Stay tuned.

8 comments:

  1. oh they are the cutest little things!!! i can only imagine the hub-bub on that beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how cute! I've never seen baby skimmers before. They are adorable. Great sighting and photos, Dina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! The little chick with a big fish looks so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet...so cute. Wonderful captures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous images! I've never seen the babies. Too, too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those babies are the cutest little things, and that first photo is a real winner, although I love them all.
    I will definitely stay tuned to see how they grow. Did I say "adorable"? I didn't? Well, I should have.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  7. The babies are so cute.

    ReplyDelete