Sunday, August 28, 2011

An after work beach trip


Pelican hanging out before sunset. He looks like a juvenile. His feathers are so pretty.


Royal tern


Taking off.


Sandwich terns taking off.


Juvenile night heron turning from brown to gray. This was the first time I had seen a night heron that had just a few brown feathers left. He's almost an adult.

Just a few birds from my last trip to Redington Shores to see the baby skimmers. The beach had a few shorebirds on the beach right before sunset. I found the night heron hanging out at the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary. I was surprised to see the patch of brown still on him. I've never seen seen a night heron in mid molt. I've only seen the blue herons who start out white and then turn blue in mid molt. Night herons don't seem to show much emotion. They just sit there quietly.

1 comment:

  1. dina, these are wonderful! first, that pelican is like a very detailed painting. gorgeous! and the overlapping wings on the tern shot look like every piece of seabird wall art ever designed. perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete