Sunday, August 7, 2011

Some random waste plant birds


This picture has a female anhinga spreading her wings in the back, two spoonbills, a juvenile white ibis and a few dragonflies on the right.


Two spoonbills. The one on the left looks like a juvenile. It is still pretty pale in color.


Tri colored heron flying by.


The anhinga was showing off.

I stopped by the waste plant ditches one day after work when there wasn't a threat of rain. There weren't too many birds there but the few that were there were all huddled near each other. The bugs and fish must have plentiful in that spot. I pulled off to the side of the road to snap some pictures of the spoonbills but that anhinga just insisted on getting in some of the pictures. The other birds barely looked up from their feeding. Since there wasn't too much going on there I decided to head home. 

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful birds and photos, Dina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great captures again Dina.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the spoonbills. I'd love to see one in person. Meanwhile, I think of your baby-spoonbill photos and smile.
    I've never seen an anhinga, either, although I've seen cormorants, which are similar (yet different). The very flexible neck made me think of cormorants, so I looked them up, and found out neither species has waterproof feathers, so they have to spread their wings to dry them off.
    Interesting. Your blog always gives me something to think about.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice array of birds. Love those spoonbills!

    ReplyDelete